The original Charter was established and signed by 17 individuals. In this year,
the Rock Island Railroad was completed to Iowa City thus bringing many
new residents to the city.
Plans for a gothic revival structure were purchased from Gurdon P. Randall, a prominent Chicago architect.
The cornerstone for the Congregational Church was laid, and construction began.The completed building cost $30,000.
Dec. 9, 1869
The church at the corner of Clinton and Jefferson Streets was dedicated.
A parsonage was built on the east side of the church. Later the property was sold
to the University of Iowa to build a new biology building.
The administration annex was added to the building.
The Little Chapel was dedicated and is still open during the day for meditation and prayer.
The Congregational and Evangelical and Reformed Denominations merged to form the United Church of Christ. A new Wicks organ was installed in the sanctuary, and the Christian Education building was added.
A Second Century renovation project made changes for a ground floor entry
level and improvements in the social hall, choir loft and chancel.
The Church building was accepted into the National Register of Historic Sites.
The sanctuary was made handicapped accessible.
The sanctuary was renovated.
A Sesquicentennial celebration recognized 150 years of service to this community.
The church currently hosts the Chinese School, the Iowa City Foreign
Relations meeting, the Community Pastoral Counseling Service, Mother to
Mother Ministry and shares with other churches the responsibility for the
winter Homeless Overflow Shelter. Six University buildings are named
after lay members – Seashore, Clapp, Phillips, Gilmore, Currier and Boyd.
This year saw the installation of a new pipe organ, the Casavant Opus 3867, an anonymous gift to the congregation. This organ contains elements of every organ that has served this church. The base of the reredos woodwork is preserved from the original 1903 Lyon and Healy organ. The upper portion of the reredos came with the gothic architectural embellishments that were done in 1934. The new organ, out of its twenty-nine ranks (sets of pipes), contains seven ranks from the previous 1958 Wicks organ.