Director of Children's Programs
Congregational United Church of Christ
Iowa City, IA
Position: Director of Children's Programs. We are seeking a loving and caring person to help our congregation nurture our children, directing our Sunday morning church school. This position requires 18 hours/week and is year round.
Position Purpose: Coordinate the development and implementation of the Sunday morning programs for children of the church.
Qualifications: a minimum of a Bachelor degree. Experience in Christian education desirable. Teaching experience is helpful. A Christian belief system that is compatible with the liberal theology of Congregational UCC and the United Church of Christ is required. We are an Open and Affirming congregation.
Accountability of Position: The Director of Chidlren's Programs is accountable to the Board of Christian Education and supervised by the Pastor.
A. Sunday Morning Program (Ages 3 years-sixth grade)
1. Select or develop and evaluate curriculum for the Church School, accommodating our age groupings, and present plans to the Board of Christian Education.
2. Be responsible for the timely ordering of curriculum materials and supplies
3. Recruit people, with the assistance of the Board of Christian Education, to fill Christian education roles (teachers, assistants, etc.).
4. Provide curriculum outlines, materials, and necessary preparation to teacher volunteers. Submit to the Board of Christian Education names of teachers recruited.
5. Remain current on the trends and resources in Christian Education.
6.Provide direction for and oversight of Sunday morning education programs both before and during worship.
B. Vacation School
1. Develop and implement programs for Vacation Bible School.
- Regular attendance at monthly Board of Christian Education meetings.
- Offers assistance, if requested, to the board chair to establish the agenda of CE Board meetings.
- Work with CE Board to develop special events/programs, e.g., Christmas pageant, children’s church, Ash Wednesday dinner.
- Serve as liaison between the Board of Christian Education and the Pastor regarding program, policy and agenda issues.
- Be available to serve as a resource person to other church committees and church members.
- Oversee the needs of the Church School program and the nursery on Sunday morning.
- Works with Children’s Choir Director.
- Keep specified office hours. Be available evenings as meetings and programs necessitate.
- Participate in the evaluation of the Church School program.
- Oversee the nursery with staffing assistance from the Board of Christian Education.
- Attend staff meetings
D. Children’s Church (for children 4–4th grade during the sermon)
1. Create or assist leader in creating age appropriate worship/activities for use in Children’s Church.
2. With assistance from the CE Board recruit/schedule parent assistants.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and references to our office manager, Nan Martin, at email@example.com.