WINTER CLOTHING DISTRIBUTION: This year’s Winter Clothing Distribution (WCD) will be conducted over a period of several weeks (September 28 – November 21) at the old “CarQuest” Building, 821 South Clinton Street, Iowa City (NW corner of Clinton & Benton Streets). Several Congregational UCC members took the coats we had stored at the church last spring to the distribution site on Wednesday, October 1.
Donations are Needed: WARM Clothing in good condition – new, or gently used and clean, for all ages. Winter Outerwear is our focus: Coats, hats, scarves, mittens or gloves, snow pants, and winter boots. We will also accept warm sweaters, sweatshirts, sweatpants. PLEASE carefully review your items before dropping them off. We will NOT be accepting Halloween costumes this year
Items in bags or boxes should be dropped off by organizations or individuals at the back (west) door, adjacent to the large parking lot, October 1-9, from 10:00 a.m. until 4 p.m. (Note: on Saturday the 3rd, we will close at 2 p.m.)
Volunteers are Needed to: set-up; receive, sort, and organize clothing; escort family representatives selecting clothing; and clean up during this event, using four two-hour shifts (generally from 10:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.). The sign-up for days / times will be done via Sign-Up Genius. You will be notified when this is ready for use.
Distribution of clothing will begin on Monday, October 12. The facility will be closed October 26 through November 3.
Various safety precautions are being taken in light of COVID-19. During the distribution of clothing, only one adult representative from three families will be admitted each half-hour to select clothing items with a physically distanced volunteer escort.
To help ensure your safety:
1. Assure that you are in good health and have not been exposed to COVID-19.
2. Bring your own multi-layer face mask. If one is not available, we will provide one.
3. Upon arrival, we will conduct a brief health status survey and perform a non-invasive check of your body temperature.
4. If you are going to escort the family representative who is shopping (October 12th through November 20th), also bring a face shield. If one is not available, we will provide one onsite. Non-latex gloves will also be provided.
5. Approved hand sanitizer will be available onsite.
6. Restrooms, for volunteers only, will be cleaned regularly.
For further questions, please contact WCD co-chairs John Barr (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Carolyn Otis (email@example.com)